The Story Behind SOS Hydration
Who are they?
Brothers James (British Champ) & Tom Mayo (sub 4 miler), who are two ex International Middle Distance Athletes & Blanca Mayo (James wife) a Medical Doctor.
Back in the 2004 Tom was in the shape of his life and was racing in Spain where he got severely dehydrated due to the unusually hot temperatures. On his return to UK, Tom was consoled by older brother James, who himself was a former international athlete, they discussed the ‘Why’s, What’s & If’s’ after Toms experience and missing out on a huge opportunity to PB and Olympic selection because of his poor preparation and the lack of a decent retail sports hydration product on the market.
It was here that the brothers James and Tom vowed to embark on a quest for a suitable alternative to the mass market surgery sports drinks and maybe they just could create the “best in class” product for sports hydration? They began by comparing notes, researching and mixing different products together, from the classic flat coke and salt mix used by athletes in the past, to mixing one part orange juice to four parts water, however no one seemed to offer a solution that could help the active sports person or solve high level performance hydration requirements.
Some years later in 2011, by pure chance a seminal moment happened in Tom’s living room, whilst Tom, James and Blanca were chatting about the quest to find a better hydration solution for athletes, James turned on the news, which was reporting the drought in East Africa and the serious critical issue of dehydration in children. It was this ‘Eureka’ moment that Blanca turned there attention to medical products that treat extreme dehydration used in disaster zones and ER departments – the first drop of SOS was born.
- Dehydration can lead to a 25% loss in performance, which is BIG.
- Sports drinks don’t replace the correct amount of electrolytes in the body
- We (and most runners) used to make our own concoctions because the sports sugar based drinks just don’t work.
- The so-called sports drink companies have formulas that are almost 40 years old.
- The sports drink companies sponsor ‘Teams’ and ‘self fulfilling research’ at universities they pay, which endorse the ‘sugar is needed’ myth to please the general population’s artificial sweet taste buds – in the meantime contributing to kids obesity and poor dental health and also ignoring the fact that their sponsored elite athletes don’t use their products (We know. You should see our SOS delivery address book).
We can honestly say we never met ANY athlete on the world circuit in our day that said ‘WOW’ that sports drink helped me perform today. Because they DON’T till NOW!
So with real medical credentials of treating dehydration and first hand world-class athletic experience, SOS have a team who could test and medically trial the best formulas to solve dehydration once and for all.
(Doctor) Blanca set to work creating a hydration formula specifically designed for active lifestyles based off the best medical science and the best sporting research into sweat loss using Tom, James and friends as the product testers.
- A hydration drink mix as effective as an IV drip.
- A hydration drink that replaces the correct amount of electrolytes and not a token gesture.
- A hydration drink that is Low in calories / Low in sugar product.
- A hydration drink that’s focus is purely and only electrolyte replacement for the athlete.
- Oh, and it’s also good for active lifestyles and the odd celebratory next day hangover too (yes, we know, we tested it, it works).
If dehydration can lead to a 25% loss in performance what could we have achieved had we had SOS back then?
Check out the rest of the story of SOS here: