The Founders Story
Who are they?
Brothers James (British Champ) & Tom Mayo (a sub 4 minute-miler) both were ex International Middle Distance Athletes & Blanca Mayo (James’s wife) who is a Qualified Medical Doctor.
Back in the 2004 Tom was in the shape of his life and was racing in Southern Europe when he got severely dehydrated due to the hot summer temperatures. On his return to UK, Tom was consoled by his older brother James, who himself was a former international athlete, they discussed the ‘Why’s, What’s & If’s’ after Toms experience having ultimately missing out on a huge opportunity of a personal best and Olympic selection because of poor preparation and fundamentally the lack of a decent retail sports hydration product on the market.
It was here that the brothers James and Tom vowed to embark on a life long quest for a suitable alternative to the mass market surgery sports drinks and maybe just maybe they could create a “best in class” product for sports hydration. They began by comparing notes, researching and mixing different products together, from the classic ‘flat coke and salt mix’ used by athletes in the past, to mixing ‘one part orange juice to four parts water and a pinch of salt’, however no one experiment seemed to offer a complete solution that could help the active sports person or solve high level performance hydration requirements.
Some years later in 2011, by pure chance a seminal moment happened in Tom’s living room, whilst Tom, James and Blanca were chatting about the quest to find a better hydration solution for athletes, James turned on the news, which was reporting the drought in East Africa and the serious critical issue of dehydration in children. It was this ‘Eureka’ moment that Blanca then turned their attention to begin the journey using medical formulas that treat extreme dehydration used in disaster zones and ER departments – and from this moment – the first foundations of SOS were born.
- Dehydration can lead to a 25% loss in performance, which is BIG. 6,7,8
- Sports drinks don’t replace the correct amount of electrolytes in the body 13,5
- We (and most runners) used to make our own concoctions because the sports sugar based drinks just don’t work.
- The so-called sports drink companies have formulas that are almost 40 years old.
- We know of some sports drink companies who sponsor ‘Teams’ and complete ‘self fulfilling research’ at universities which they pay, that endorse the ‘sugar is needed’ myth to please the general population’s artificial sweet taste buds – in the meantime contributing to kids obesity and poor dental health – ignoring the fact that their sponsored elite athletes don’t use their products (We know. You should see our SOS delivery address book)
We can honestly say we never met ANY athlete on the world circuit in our day that said ‘WOW’ that sports drink helped me perform better today. Because they DON’T till NOW!
So with real medical credentials of treating dehydration and first hand world-class athletic experience, SOS have a team who could test and medically trial the best formulas to solve dehydration once and for all. Please see our research and reference page.
(Doctor) Blanca set to work creating a hydration formula specifically designed for active lifestyles based off the best medical science and the best sporting research into sweat loss using Tom, James and friends as the product testers.
- A hydration drink mix as effective as an IV drip. 3,4
- A hydration drink that replaces the correct amount of electrolytes and not a token gesture. 2,5,9
- A hydration drink that is Low in calories / Low in sugar product.
- A hydration drink that’s focus is purely and only electrolyte replacement for the athlete.
- Oh, and it’s also good for active lifestyles and the odd celebratory next day hangover too (yes, we know, we tested it, it works).
If dehydration can lead to a 25% loss in performance what could we have achieved had we used SOS back in 2004 ?